Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

First Music, Now TV

I don't pay for cable. It's too much money for too much content masking too little content in which I am interested.

I have been saying for a long time that what could make me buy cable again would be an a la carte offering, of channels and/or shows. Every time it's suggested, the cable providers have vociferously defended the current model, painting a dark future in which each person would pay a hoard of gold and gems for each channel/show because breaking the 'package' would cause costs to skyrocket.

To be honest, it smacks of the RIAA telling us about how important the model of CD sales was to the music industry. If the RIAA taught us all anything, it's that no business entity whose sole purpose for existing is to protect it's preferred business model can be trusted to deliver the facts.

Which leads me here:

Intel Jumps Into the Content Pool

Not sure why Intel is throwing its hat in the ring, but I am excited about the possibility of subscribing to particular content. Netflix and Hulu offer plenty of content at a low price, but their business model isn't the same as what Intel is aiming to accomplish. The real danger to this new emerging business model is that content providers have to be on board, and not spread their stuff around like this were the McDonalds Monopoly game or something. I don't want to have a separate subscription to Netflix, Hulu, Apple TV, Amazon Prime, HBO Go, etc. Give me my content from as few providers as possible, but give me exactly what I want. Until then, I'll make do with DVDs and streaming media.

No comments:

Post a Comment